10:00—11:30 AM (Manila Time, GMT+8)
The Knowledge Sharing Webinar Series are regular web conferences presented by the Asia Leadership Program. Each webinar aims to facilitate learning and lessons sharing among participants, alumni and partners on topics related to sustainable development and climate change.
To meet sustainable development challenges, public and private decision makers must respond to diverse and sometimes conflicting economic, environmental and social interests. The stakeholders in these challenges resist “trading off” their priorities for the sake of reaching an agreement or decision. In most societies, top-down decision making to resolve conflicts is less effective than efforts to engage stakeholders in dialogue, negotiation and consensus building. Leaders need to know how to use a mutual gains approach to negotiation and consensus building to avoid impasse and reach “higher common denominator” outcomes.
This webinar aimed for the participants to:
- Know the importance of effective collaboration among stakeholders to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals; and
- Be introduced to the “mutual gains approach” to sustainable development decision.
- David Fairman is Managing Director at the Consensus Building Institute, Associate Director of the MIT-Harvard Public Disputes Program, and Faculty Director for the Sustainability Challenge Foundation.
- Dong-Young Kim is Associate Professor at KDI School of Public Policy and Management, and Senior Faculty for the Sustainability Challenge Foundation.
Participants were urged to find time to read the following resources in advance related to the webinar's topic:
- Sustainability Challenge Foundation
- Consensus Building Institute
- Albrectsen, A-B. 2017. Why collaboration will be key to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. World Economic Forum. January 31.
- Kuenkel, P. 2012. Collaborative Leadership for Sustainable Development. The Guardian. February 15.
- Susskind, L., S. McKearnan and J. Thomas-Larmer (Eds.). 1999. The Consensus Building Handbook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
|Date||Session / Activity||Presentation Material||Speaker(s)|
|04 May 2017||Webinar||
SLIDES: “Mutual Gains” in Stakeholder Negotiation and Consensus Building - Knowledge Sharing Webinar Series [ Slides ] [ Multimedia ]
David Fairman and Dong-Young Kim introduce the mutual gains approach in stakeholder collaboration towards achieving the SDGs.
|David Fairman, Dong-Young Kim|